Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Learning how life works in chile!

El criminal!
This week has been an absolute adventure! To start off, I learned that the police here don't mess around. Let me explain. We were driving around with the second counselor of the bishopric helping with some service because the ward is making pastries for a fundraiser. Well this took up most of the morning and we where just about done when we started noticing a lot of police cars around the area. Next thing I know we get cut off by a police car and 3 Chileno officers immediately get out and tell us to turn off the truck and get out. I figured that this was probably normal, because the police here are technically a branch of the armed forces so they are probably pretty intense. But we are doing what they tell us to and being friendly as we can. Next another car shows up and then a motorcycle and more and more and more. After they had all shown up after only 2 mins, I figured that this wasn't normal. There was 3 cars, 3 motorcycles, and a pickup truck. And all together 12 police present. So in my best Spanish, I asked one of the first officers what was going on, and he explained to me that there was a robbery and our truck matched the description of the other vehicle. But very soon after they realized that they had the wrong people they all left as fast as they got there. But they were some of the chillest people in Chile, after they realized that they had the wrong people, they were just joking around with each other and with us until they had to leave. They had a lot of questions about what I was doing in Chile and so I got to explain the missionary program to them.

The other thing that I learned is that the words prescription only doesn't mean the same thing here as in the USA. My companion needed some cream for his face and usually you need a prescription. So we went in, explained the problem and they could see the sore on his face, and that was all it took.

I am always continually surprised at the kindness of the people here. My grandma recently told me that she hoped that there was some golden investigators at the top of the mountains for us. And as it is here in Antofagasta the highest place in our area is an area that is set aside for people who can't afford homes to build their own. And some days we spend almost all day up there because they are so incredibly humble. The thing that I like the most is hearing their stories and getting to know the families. All of the homes are very small and made out of plywood with dirt floors, but despite this they are always happy and always welcome us in with open arms and open hearts. Very much like Alma 32!

Con amor
Elder Brayton

No comments:

Post a Comment