Thursday, December 3, 2015

Life in the MTC

Email update received 12/3/15:


The life of a missionary in the MTC is lots of classes, teaching lessons, and constantly worrying about if you said the right thing. And more often than not, I say some pretty ridiculous things. I won't go into too much detail but the word for fish and the word for sin in Spanish are very similar. Also people look at you like you are crazy when you tell them that you can repent of your fish.
But I am learning Spanish quicker than I ever thought was possible, this past Sunday I had the opportunity to bless the sacrament in Spanish and teach a lesson. My teachers are awesome people! Hermana Guterarez is a local of Mexico City and is 28 years old, and our other teacher is Hermano Cruz and he is from Guadalajara, Mexico. He got back from his mission less than 2 years ago and is only 22 years old. I keep having to remind myself how young they really are, and even as young as they are they continue to teach us so much at such a fast pace. This past Tuesday was our last day speaking English in the class room. And this Wednesday it is our goal as a class to be speaking 100% Spanish all the time. I think that we can do it but it's not going to be easy. I'll put a picture of our class with Hermano Cruz at the end of this letter


One thing that happened this week was an Elder from our district got his mission reassigned to an English speaking state side mission, so because of this my trio companionship got broken up. But I really think it is for the better because now Elder Eagar and I will have to learn more Spanish in order to keep teaching lessons.


Living here in Mexico, even though it has only been two weeks, has taught me that the Hispanics here love to celebrate anything and everything. Almost every day there is a different saint celebrated in their culture with music and fireworks! I think it was Friday but their celebrating started especially that day. It was only like 10 AM and the fireworks started. Well I don't know if someone had bad aim with the fireworks or if they were drinking, but somehow they caught the mountain on fire. This is the same mountain that has the B on it in the background in some of my pictures. (see 1st blog post) The good thing is it was a tiny brush fire and nobody and nothing got hurt, it was just interesting to look up and see the mountain on fire. 


That's pretty much it for this week, even though it says that no packages ship to the this MTC someone discovered a website that will deliver packages and free letters. the web site is http://www.mtcmexicocarepackage.com/ . Talk to you guys next week!


Love, 
Elder Brayton
 MTC District with
Hermano Cruz


Dining Hall with mystery food

No comments:

Post a Comment