Monday, August 21, 2017

CAmBios!



July 4, 2017



Hi Everyone,

Welp, the day has come. Elder Capuñay and I received our cambios {transfers} and he is headed down to Copiapo. I just came from down there so I was able to tell him all about it and all the cold weather that he should expect. He is headed down to Piapote, a sector that was part of my first district. We sent him off this morning and I am already with my new comp. He was on the other side of Arica so we just met up in the middle this morning. His name is Elder Lopez. He is a newer missionary with about 4 months in the mission. He is from Chihuahua, Mexico, so we are pretty much neighbors. He is my first Mexican companion. I think it will be good to get used to learning and getting familiar with the sayings and different vocabulary that there is in Mexico... seeing that that will be most of what I see and hear later on. 

This last week I have been sort of reflecting on the different things that I have learned on my mission. I was trying to maybe sum up what I had learned in a couple of sentences but I came up empty handed. I have been blessed to be able to come to where I am today only because I have followed the councel of Jesus and other leaders of His church. Our Heavenly Father, like any other parent would for their child, wants the absolute best for us and has given us all the things that we need to be happy. And despite all of that, more often than not, I see people doing the exact opposite of the things that they know they should be doing. Their only excuse is that everyone else is doing it..... Well that is just great, but wasn't it Peter that called us a peculiar people? He called us weird because we go against the grain of normal. But that is what we must do and that is ALL that is asked of us. The bar has been set by our Savior and although He lived a very difficult life, I know that He is the happiest person to be on this earth. Never has a person been so obedient and never has a person been more happy. A quote I read this week that I loved was counsel given from a father to his kids was:  
“The testimony I have of the reality and love of Jesus Christ has been the compass of my life. … It [is] a pure, burning witness of the Spirit that He lives, that He is my Redeemer and Friend in every time of need. Our challenge … is to come to know [the Savior] … and, through faith in Him, to overcome the trials and temptations of this world. Let us be faithful and true, trusting in Him.”

I hope that you all have a happy 4th of July. Be careful with the fireworks!

Love,
Elder Brayton



No comments:

Post a Comment